Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Vaya Con Dios Baldemar Huerta, Vaya Con Dios.

On October 14 of this year, a great country legend passed on. Known locally as Freddy Fender, Mr. Huerta was a large part of my song listening childhood. Mr. Huerta conjures up images of sitting on the back seat of a seatbelt-less hot vinyl seat, and listening to the sounds of my father’s eight track cassette player wailing the bilingual sounds of Before the Next Teardrop Falls. Between Freddy, the Statler Brothers, and David Allan Coe, I don’t think I really knew what rock and roll was. And that was fine.
The year was somewhere around 1976 and I had all the lyrics memorized. Even if I didn’t understand what they meant.
What Freddy said: Si te quire de verdad Y te da felicidad Te deseo lo mas bueno pa'los dos Pero si te hace llorar A mime puedes hablar Y estare contigo cuando treste estas
What 6 year old Midnight Train heard:
Ni es yetta, nice o ra
Bee des says, for e teesad
Bone es mayo, more less bueno badda bas
Parrot sea mu I say hoo-rah
More less lay, benny sebla
Yes-ter-day Ill be more bueno, Easter time.
Now, I decided years later to punch both of these verses into babelfish and see
What Freddy Fender and myself were really saying:
Freddy according to babelfish:
If you quire really and gives happiness you I wish You but good pálos two But if it makes you cry To MIME you can speak and estare with treste you when these

Not bad…not good…but not bad.
MTrain according to babelfish:
Nor he is yetta, nice or ra Bee DES says, for and teesad Bone is May, dwells less good badda bas Parrot is mu I say hoo-rah More less lay, benny sebla Yes-ter-day Ill be dwells good, Easter Time.

Ye a aahhhhh. Not so good.
I see headlines: Babelfish used at UN....WAR!!!

My father also had the album Wasted Days and Wasted Nights and I remember reading the sleeve while listening to that song. It told the tale of Mr. Huerta picking fruit as a migrant worker when he was young. He spent much of his youth in Arkansas and Louisiana and I felt a kinship.
Ironically, Mr. Huerta’s last name translates as ‘Orchard’ where Im sure he spent much of his youth. He also served in the Marines and has made a lifelong contribution to society.
His life was remarkable.
Vaya Con Dios Mr. Huerta…Vaya Con Dios.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keith Lingenfelter said...

I remember my Dad's 8 track player bolted on under the dash.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home