Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This is a comic strip from the short lived web comic "What's Your Point?" Unfortunately, it's also taken from my real life experience. This really happened. All except the choking part... although that is what happened in my head. I worked several years in the food service industry (read slave labor) trying just to pay my bills while I went to college. All in all, I found there were several well educated people working alongside me. And I don't know if it was an eliteism that came with working at a fast food place without a grease pit or what...but we thought we were somehow above those that worked in Mc D's or BK's.
Low end of the totem pole or not, I learned a lot about people working at "subweigh". Mainly, that even though I was working all hours of the night for not much more than minimum wage, I was still better than half the idiots that came in after 1am.
That's not excusing some idiots that were hired to work at Subweigh. The following is an actual conversation I had with a "Subway employee" in North Las Vegas. There were two people working that day, only one of which spoke any English...I happened to get the one who didn't.
Me: Hey, I'll take the Pizza Sub on white.
Her: Que?
Me: Pizza Sub...on white bread.
Her: Sees eench or fut long?
Me: Six inch.
Her: Zalad or Zand-weech?
Me: What?
Her: (unintelligible)
Me: I want a six inch Pizza Sub on white bread.
Her: Que?
Me (pointing): PIZZA. I want a PIZZA sub! Pepperoni! Sauce!
Her: Zalad?
Me: NO...sandwich!
Her (staring at coworker working drivethrough): (foreign speak)
Co-worker: He wants a pizza sub.
Me: Did I not just say that?
Her: Wha do you wan on eet?
Me: Lettuce, pickles, mustard..black olives...and jalapenos.
Her: Que?
Me (pointing): jalapenos! Understand jalapenos?!
Her (pointing at olives): (unintelligible)
Me: NO! I mean yes! Those and jalapenos!
Her: Zalad?
At this point, I screamed something unintelligible and wandered out into the street. I couldn't believe I was actually in America. When did it become impossible to order in English at your favorite restaurant?
I have a theory that 95% of the population is put here upon this earth to make my life a living hell. I'm waiting for that theorum to be proven wrong.
Read the headlines...it's possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home