Saturday, March 17, 2007


I just finished watching 'The Secret'. A 'documentary' about how all the people in the world who were great all knew the secret to life. The secret was simple. Enjoying life and envisioning what you want. It was sort of a metaphysical statement about how everything is intertwined on a basal level mixed in with stories of miracles through thought. At first it seemed just like an infomercial but after watching it through, it was a well presented version of the way I live my life anyways.
Anyways, it led me to start thinking about what I want to do with my life before I die. It suggested writing down these things I want, so I thought I'd make a list. If nothing else, I can look back and see how much I've accomplished. I'm including things I've already done also to give me a better idea of how far I've come...I'm no spring chicken after all.
So here goes, an incomplete list of things to do:
1. Get married-done
2. Have children-done
3. Graduate college-done
4. Get my doctorate-done
5. Get a job I love
6. Be a millionaire
7. Fly in a plane-done
8. Fly in a jet
9. Parachute from a plane-done
10.Write the Great American Novel
11.Get it published
12.Write a screenplay-done
13.Make it into a film
14.Travel to every state
15.Travel to every continent
16.Travel to any and all countries
17.Achieve 7th degree black belt in a martial art
18.Open and own my own dojo
19.Build my dreamhouse.
20.Retire by age 58.
21.Go on a Safari
22.Record an album
23.Get in shape
24.Learn an instrument-done
25.Draw a complete graphic novel

I'm sure there's other things that I can't think of right now, but it's a start.
I feel inspired to get started on my list so I'll leave you with my favorite poem.
By Edgar Guest.

It Couldn't Be Done
Edgar Guest

Somebody said that it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.


Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;
At least no one ever has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.

Self-Confidence
By Unknown

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think that you dare not, you don't;
If you'd like to win and you think you can't
It's almost certain that you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost;
For out in the world you'll find
Success begins with a fellows will -

It's all in the state of mind.

If you think that you are out-classed, you are;
You've got to think high to rise;
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man;

But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.




If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.
Henry Ford

P.S. I hope this makes up for the negative posts I've been in the habit of lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home